Friday, February 08, 2008

Outside my window...

Boy this is fun! Replacing a furnace in the dead of winter, jockeying/pushing cars out of snowbanks. Always looking for the plow and sand truck more than you look for Santa. Bottles of windshield washer fluid, astronomical heating bills, studying weather.com before you go grocery shopping, or driving your son to DMHC, yadda yadda yadda..... well at least we don't as Yet have the flu.

But David has his hard black cast and silver sharpie for signatures, the heat is nice and warm and I can do laundry again. No need for laundromat. We have a car or else we wouldn't even need the washer fluid and I have money to pay the grocer and the heating bill. So what do I have to complain about??? Well there IS my age..... but the alternative on that is not pretty. So thank you Lord for the beautiful view out my warm house window..and hold on to your hat----yes, my age!!!

1 comment:

Liz said...

I identify with many of your complaints, although our furnace has been fine so far. It's just that I have to feed it wood regularly or the house gets cold. And our house is routinely cold at night. We couldn't even make it to church on Ash Wednesday because of the ice (got stranded for a couple of hours waiting for the road to get good enough to drive home again). And yesterday I had to refill the windshield washer thing for the second time in 3 weeks, despite the fact that I've done very little driving in that time.

But yesterday the weather was good enough so that I was able to drive to Burlington, go dress shopping with Abby and out to dinner with her mother-in-law to be (plus Abby and Jim). The roads were fine both ways. As far as my age is concerned, well I can be glad I've made it to this age - my sister never will. I can be glad that I'm getting to go wedding gown shopping -someone else is doing wedding gowns with my sister's daughter. I can be very, very glad that I'm far thinner and far healthier than I was 10 years ago. It was downright fun to see yesterday that the rack of mother of the bride dresses contained nothing I either could or would wear (obviously have to look elsewhere) because most of them were in such ludicrously big sizes as 12, 14, 16. Two years ago I would have given my eye teeth to be able to fit into a 14. Now the largest thing I ever wear is a pair of jeans that are 8's and they are loose. So yes, there are frustrations and some of the extended family dynamics are a cause for real sadness, but there is so much to be grateful for. One of the things to be most grateful for is the grace that God has extended to us to be able to overcome all of the minor inconveniences and see how He uses them to teach us patience and gratitude.